This method has evolved over the last ~30 years from its military origins into a successful method for training sport parachutists. The student gets 4-5 hours of ground training and is then taken to an altitude of about 3200 feet for the jump. The jump itself consists of a simple hanging or poised exit from the airplane. As the student falls away from the plane, the deployment of the main canopy is initiated a "Staticline" attached to the aircraft. The student will experience only a very short freefall before the opening of the main parachute is initiated.
Subsequent S/L jumps require about 15 minutes of preparation. After 2 good Staticline jumps, the student will be trained to pull their ripcord for themselves. The student then does 3 more good Staticline jumps where they demonstrate this ability by pulling a dummy ripcord as they leave the plane (the Staticline is still initiating the deployment of the main parachute). The student is then cleared to do their first freefall without a Staticline attached.
The first freefall is a "clear & pull", where the student initiates the pull sequence immediately upon leaving the aircraft. Next is a 10 second delay jump. Subsequent jumps go to progressively higher altitudes with longer delays. After 20 freefalls, and meeting certain other basic requirements concluding with a 'check dive' the student receives their A license and is cleared off student status.
Normally it takes about 7 to 8 weeks (25-30 jumps) for the dedicated Staticline student to complete the requirements for their 'A' license.
* We have first jump courses rain or shine, April through October.
* We prefer you make reservations for your staticline first jump by calling 270 723 3587.
* All staticline first jump classes start at 9:30 am Eastern time.
* December through March first jump courses are by appointment only.
* All staticline jumpers must be 18 years old.
* A maximum weight of 230 lbs. (180 lbs. for average women) is strictly enforced.
<click here for more details about weight restrictions>
* Generally anyone up to 6 feet 4 inches tall can make a staticline jump. If you are over 6 feet tall tell us before you come out.